Print this Page

Home

Springfield Park, located in the Three Chopt District,  backs up to Springfield Road. This road is shown on an 1853 map as Springfield Pit Road, named for the Springfield Coal Pits in the area. On the school grounds there used to be the path of a small gauge railroad used to transport the coal to the river. Springfield Road was named because south of Mountain Road was Springfield Farm, containing mineral and sulfur springs of great medicinal value.

 To learn more, visit http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/henrico400th/history.html


Permanent link to this article: http://springfieldpark.henricoschools.us/